Today, I would like to share some of my favorite first Bible memory verses for children with you. These are all quoted from the King James Version of the Bible.
If you are very diligent, you could probably teach your young child a verse a week. Then this list would last a year.
Review is critical, though. Without it, the children will forget fairly quickly. With it, their Bible memory verses will become very much a part of their lives.
Before I forget… Just in case you want even more ideas, you can check out a couple other pages I came across on the web:
Okay, let’s get to the list!
52 first Bible memory verses for children
I will divide these up into categories. Of course there is some overlap, but hopefully you will find the divisions helpful.
Many of the suggestions here are just a part of a verse, but they each contain a whole thought. I have starred (*) the references that are an entire verse. You can always go back later and learn the rest of the shortened verses with your child if you want.
- *Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
- Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
- Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain.
- *Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
- Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother.
- *Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
- *Exodus 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- *Exodus 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
- Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness.
- Exodus 20:17 Thou shalt not covet.
- Jeremiah 31:3 Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love.
- Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee.
Note: If you want to work on a challenge, this is one awesome verse to start with! *Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
- Psalm 86:7 I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.
- Galatians 4:28 Now we… are the children of promise.
- *Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
- Matthew 28:20 Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
- *Psalm 56:3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
- *Psalm 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.
- *Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
- Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another.
- *Ephesians 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children.
- *Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
- *John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
- Hebrews 13:5 Be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee.
- Psalm 86:11 Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth.
- John 2:5 Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.
- Luke 10:27 Thou shalt love the Lord thy God.
Note: This is another one that makes a great first long Bible memory verse. Add some hand motions and it is not too bad! *Luke 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
- *Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
- *1 Thessalonians 5:16 Rejoice evermore.
- *1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks.
- Psalm 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
- *Psalm 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.
- *Psalm 118:23 This is the LORD’S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
(“Marvellous.” That’s one of those fun words. )
- *Psalm 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
- *Psalm 100:1 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.
- *Psalm 100:2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
- Esther: Esther 2:20 Esther did the commandment of Mordecai.
- Daniel and the lion’s den: Daniel 6:10 Daniel… kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed.
- David and Goliath: 1 Samuel 17:45 Then said David… I come to thee in the name of the LORD.
(Or if you’re feeling ambitious, *1 Samuel 17:45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.)
- Baby Moses: Exodus 2:10 And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water.
- Jesus and the children: Matthew 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children… to come unto me.
- Noah and the ark: Genesis 6:9 Noah walked with God.
- Paul and Silas in prison: Acts 16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God.
- John the Baptist: Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach.
- Jesus raises the little girl: Mark 5:41 Damsel, I say unto thee, arise.
- The boy Samuel: 1 Samuel 3:9 Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth.
- *Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
- Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image.
- Psalm 145:9 The LORD is good to all.
- *John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
- *Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
- John 16:27 The Father himself loveth you.
- 1 John 4:8 God is love.
Simplified version of the Ten Commandments — aka “The Ten Promises” 😉
Bible memory verses for children to claim God’s promises
Bible memory verses for children to obey
(Of course, commands are promises, too!)
Bible memory verses for children to praise God with
Bible memory verses about some of the children’s favorite Bible characters
One thing we should help the children keep in mind is that the purpose of the whole Bible is to help us learn more about God, but these last few are obviously…
Bible memory verses for children to learn about God
And the clincher…
Okay, so that was 54 first Bible memory verses for children. Guess I better stop for now–I just love memorizing God’s Word!
Click here to download 52 First Bible memory verses for children as a printable PDF. (Or simply right-click on the link and choose “Save as” to save directly to your computer.)
Now that you’ve got your list all ready, you can find some helpful teaching suggestions in last week’s post, 7 Tips for teaching young children memory verses.
~YOUR TURN: I understand there are over 31 thousand verses in the King James Bible… so it is very possible I have left out one that you would put high on the list for teaching little ones! Scroll down and tell us your favorite(s) in the comments!~